Kundalini Five Finger Tune-Up
Kundalini Yoga works fast. You can reset your mood, vitalize your body and refresh your mind in minutes.
The breathing technique known as Breath of Fire is excellent to make a part of your daily life, whether if it’s just a few minutes in the morning or before your start your day at work (think in your car in the parking lot!).
This “panting breath through the nose” is a relaxed equal inhale, equal exhale technique that can be done for several minutes to energize yourself.
You can use this breath with the five fingers of the hand to affect the Ayurvedic five elements of the body. Traditionally the thumb represents fire, the index finger air, the middle finger ether, the ring finger earth and the little finger water.
By using the breath of fire with these five fingers, you can give yourself an elemental tune-up and re-balance your body and mind. Here’s how you can do this in as short as 5 minutes or for a full experience of 30 minutes:
- Curl the four fingers of one or both hands into the palms with the thumb(s) pointing straight up. Begin the Breath of Fire for 1 to 6 minutes.
- Keep the times equal for the following fingers.
- Touch the tip of the thumb(s) to the tip of the index finger(s) & continue Breath of Fire.
- Touch the tip of thumb(s) to the tip of the middle finger(s) & continue Breath of Fire.
- Touch the tip of the thumb(s) to the tip of the ring finger(s) & continue Breath of Fire.
- Touch the tip of the thumb(s) to the tip of the little finger(s) & continue Breath of Fire.
- Inhale deeply and retain the breath as long as comfortable.